Volume Icon aims to be a lightweight volume control that sits in your systray. It is often used in conjuction with the lightweight tint2
- Change volume by scrolling on the systray icon
- Ability to choose which channel to control
- Several icon themes (with gtk theme as default)
- Configurable external mixer
- Volume Slider
- Hotkey support
Installation from source
sudo make install
Enables notifications, this adds a dependency for libnotify >= 0.5.0.
By default Volume Icon will be built with ALSA as its backend. Note that it
is not possible to build with both ALSA and OSS support at the moment, so
using this flag will disable ALSA support.
Location of soundcard.h, defaults first to the value specified in
/etc/oss.conf. If that does not exist it defaults to
Set the default mixer application, defaults to alsamixer.
Changes0.5.1 - Mar 2, 2015
0.5.0 - Feb 25, 2013
- Added german and polish translations.
- Added commandline switch to turn off notifications.
- Added option to choose soundcard from either gui or commandline.
- Added option to use GTK+ popup window for volume change notifications.
- Changed preferences GUI so it fits on smaller screens.
- Added flag --version, -v to print version information.
0.4.6 - Feb 5, 2012
- Use the same volume mapping as alsamixer.
- Allow the specification of an alternate name to use for config file via the command-line option `--config'.
- Added `--with-default-mixerapp' configure option.
- Added french translation.
- Added option for transparent slider background.
- Ported to GTK 3.
- Fix hanging / 100% CPU usage when pulseaudio is killed.
0.4.5 - Nov 9, 2011
- Changed the default card that is used from "hw:0" to "default" as pointed out by Christoph Wickert.
0.4.4 - Oct 25, 2011
- Added support for 8-bit OSS sliders and improved configure.ac for OSS by Matt Boyer.
- Added option for using a horizontal slider and showing the numerical value of the sound level thanks to Jean-Pierre Demailly.
0.4.3 - Aug 5, 2011
- Some minor fixes thanks to Matthias Frei.
- Show notification only when hotkeys are pressed or when scrolling on the icon.
- Make the volume slider popup downwards if no space is left above the icon.
0.4.0 - Jun 12, 2011
- Added optional notification support thanks to Mihail Szabolcs.
0.2.0 - Mar 20, 2010
- Added hotkey support thanks to David Gidwani.